Bonsoir from Paris!
Last week I hosted a Parisian-themed dinner party. Yes, I realize it makes no sense at all for me to host a dinner party (because I can’t cook for shit), but I bought these French placemats & Paris napkin holder when I was traveling last year, and I really wanted to put them to use! And while technically, it was a dinner, I really just wanted to re-create the experience of a French-themed evening, complete with cheese, wine, French music & good conversation.
The key elements for my French dinner:
- My French placemats: I LOVE these! I got them in Paris last year, and each one has a different personality on it & description (i.e. L’elegant, L’epicurien). And yes, I don’t know French so I can’t actually translate the descriptions per se, but that’s why I left my handy little French-English dictionary on the table.
- My Paris restaurant-style napkin holder. Practical, no. Cute, yes!
- My ridiculous Eiffel-Tower-as-frenchman-carrying-a-baguette souvenir.
- My Eiffel Tower lamp – actually forgot about this one until Mindy pointed it out midway through dinner! But it ended up providing the perfect lighting for an intimate dinner.
- Cheese & Wine. I was a little upset that we only went through two and a half bottles of wine when I had bought six for the evening. Oh well – more for me! I got the cheeses from Pastoral (which I LOVE, even though it can be pricey) and picked a Bouchon, Mimolette & Ossou Iraty.
- The perfect French playlist.
- Anything by Edith Piaf
- La Vie en Rose (one of my favorite French songs)
- Le Yeux Ouverts (my other favorite song – French version of “Dream a Little Dream With Me”)
- C’est Si Bon
- Padam Padam
- Je Ne Regrette Rien
- I Love Paris
- Autumn Leaves
- Via Con Me
- La Mer
- Anything from the French Kiss soundtrack