It’s that time of year…time to check out the Dia de los Muertos exhibit at the National Museum of Mexican Art! I really love this exhibit, and I love seeing the tradition behind Day of the Dead as well as how it translates to peoples’ lives today. This year’s exhibit has some beautiful ofrendas and other art associated with the holiday.
Some of my favorite parts of this year’s exhibit:
- Self Help Graphics, East LA: legendary in Chicano art and an integral part of the resurrection of Dia de los Muertos among Latinos in California
- Galeria de la Raza, San Francisco
- Chicano Funeral, Reynaldo Olivares: a visually simple but really unique print
- Remember, Joevanny Duran: a really cool, contemporary take on an ofrenda made of mixed media on wood
- CHema Skandal!: interesting graphic artist that has some really cool pieces